Manipur: NIA to take over probe into abduction of Naga men, says CM

The probe into the abduction of six Naga men by armed groups will be handed over to the National Investigation Agency, The Hindu quoted Manipur Chief Minister Yumnam Khemchand Singh as saying on Saturday.

The announcement was made after a six-member delegation of the United Naga Council met the chief minister in Imphal to discuss the situation in the hill districts, according to India Today.

On the other hand, the apex body of the Kuki tribes, Kuki Inpi Manipur, extended its shutdown for another 48 hours for “safeguarding the rights, dignity and future” of the community.

The Kuki groups allege that 14 of the community members, including three minor students, were being held captive by Nagas, reported The Hindu.

On May 13, more than 38 persons from the Kuki and Naga communities had been taken hostage by armed groups in the state’s Kangpokpi and Senapati districts, said Manipur Home Minister Govindas Konthoujam.

The abductions had taken place after three church leaders were killed and five others injured when the vehicles they were travelling in were ambushed while they were returning from a meeting in Churachandpur to Kangpokpi. Another civilian was also killed and his wife wounded in Noney district.

On May 15, the Manipur Police said that 28 of the persons who had been abducted were released. However, an unidentified police officer told The Indian Express that...

Read more



from Scroll.in https://scroll.in/latest/1093050/manipur-nia-to-take-over-probe-into-abduction-of-naga-men-says-cm?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=public https://sc0.blr1.cdn.digitaloceanspaces.com/article/157200-zkvwulnqdw-1617697638.jpg
via

Post a Comment

0 Comments