Bastar village looks for truth and reconciliation as Maoist-police strife ends

Chhinari is a medium-sized village of about 80 households nestled in Chhattisgarh’s Narayanpur district. Most of its residents are Adivasis from the Muria Gond community, while around 13 families belong to the Yadav community.

For two decades, the conflict between Maoist insurgents and the police violently disrupted their lives, bitterly dividing both Adivasi and Yadav families. Now, with the state announcing a victory over the Maoists, the residents of Chhinari are attempting to repair the ruptures in their social fabric and return to an older rhythm of life.

But this was proving to be difficult – or so I heard from local contacts in the area.

One Saturday in June, I decided to find out more by travelling to Chinnari to attend the weekly village meeting where residents gather to discuss matters of common concern.

Around 7 am, when I reached the village, I found both the young and the old were walking down to the meeting point – an open space that once held two Maoist memorials, but is now ringed by a newly built panchayat bhavan, a primary school and a community centre.

The two memorials, now razed to the ground, had been erected in the memory of Mangtu Vinod and Karuna Somari, Maoist cadres from Andhra Pradesh...

Read more



from Scroll.in https://scroll.in/article/1096042/bastar-village-looks-for-truth-and-reconciliation-as-maoist-police-strife-ends?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=public https://sc0.blr1.cdn.digitaloceanspaces.com/article/215762-woazqdooqy-1790493340.jpg
via

Post a Comment

0 Comments