‘I’m not Mr Political’: Ed Sheeran’s stance has larger implications, explains an ethicist

Headlines this week have been inundated with news of artist Macklemore being dropped from Ed Sheeran’s Loop tour, following Macklemore’s onstage calls to “free Palestine”.

The rap artist said Robert Kraft, owner of New England Patriots and the Gillette Stadium, barred him from playing in his stadium, and rallied other stadiums to join the boycott.

In response, Sheeran’s remaining support acts also withdrew. Sheeran has attempted to distance himself from the decision, suggesting it was the promoter’s and not his. He has taken an “apolitical” stance, referring back to his history of avoiding public political statements.

But the resulting condemnation from fans and commentators suggests forcing neutrality in such situations isn’t straightforward.

What does it mean to be ‘apolitical’?

Politics isn’t limited to government. In a more general sense, it refers to the relationships of power in society and between members of society, and efforts to change them.

This seems to be what Ed Sheeran’s recent statements are reaching for. He claims to be apolitical in the sense that he keeps his political views separate from his work as an artist: “People buy my records to put on while they make out. I’m not Mr Political. I vote the way I feel I should, but won’t tell somebody else what to do.”

Importantly, Sheeran’s recent statement doesn’t just claim he is apolitical on the...

Read more



from Scroll.in https://scroll.in/article/1095837/im-not-mr-political-ed-sheerans-stance-has-larger-implications-explains-an-ethicist?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=public https://sc0.blr1.cdn.digitaloceanspaces.com/article/215635-khptkbmicx-1789739179.jpg
via

Post a Comment

0 Comments